Tuesday, September 16, 2008

SPAM may be protected by the First Amendment, but not by Astaro.

iStock_000007078741XSmall A convicted spammer's conviction was recently overturned  by the Virginia Supreme Court on First Amendment grounds.  Details from this PC Magazine article include this:

Friday's ruling found that the Virginia law is "unconstitutionally overbroad because it prohibits the anonymous transmission of all unsolicited bulk e-mails including those containing political, religious, or other speech protected by the First Amendment."

Given the details of the ruling, I understand the justification- but I still don't want spam in my inbox.  Regardless of whatever happens with laws and regulations, I expect the spam filters on my Astaro will do more to keep my inbox clean than anything coming from government.

No comments: